ADHD - Children Chiropractic
If you have any questions regarding this information, or need help with your particular condition, please contact Back to Basics® Chiropractic at either the Kogarah or Parramatta clinic. Our highly trained staff will be able to advise you on an appropriate course of action. If you make a booking, please ask our receptionist about our website offer of 10% off your initial consultation.The symptoms may appear innocent as just annoying nuisances such as:
- forgetting things
- missing details
- easily distracted and have difficulties focusing, frequently switch tasks becoming bored quickly
- have trouble completing homework losing things required to complete it
- have difficulties listening
- talk non stop
- be impatient
- constantly in motion
- touching or playing with everything in sight
- easily confused
- struggle following instructions
- have inappropriate comments, show their emotions with no regard for consequences
- have difficulty waiting for their turn
The most common treatment for this disorder is medicating with a drug called Ritalin. Ritalin is a Class II controlled addictive substance which carries severe side effects. These side effects include insomnia, addiction, personality changes, heart attack and even stroke.
Chiropractic care targets the underlying problems involved, and offers a non-invasive, non-medicated complementary therapy to aid with ADHD sufferers1. For the nervous system and brain to develop evenly, motor activity and the development of postural muscles are important. These muscles trigger the nervous system and their pathways up to the brain. Using these muscles stimulates these pathways to trigger responses and coordinated movements, if these muscles are affected the nervous system may receive diminished stimulation therefore may alter from normal developmental milestones.
A simple chiropractic examination can check for any imbalances or misalignments in the body. Simple spinal manipulations and soft tissue work from the chiropractor can help to improve any muscular and spinal misalignments which in turn can assist with balanced nervous system development. The chiropractors at Back to Basics Chiropractic can also recommend complementary dietary and lifestyle changes to help combat the symptoms of this disorder.
1. Chiropractic offers hope and help for Children with ADHD Arlington, VA Journal of the American Chiropractic Association Sept 27, 2007
2. Developmental Delay syndromes and Chiropractic: A Case Report Blum C.L, Cuthbertson Journal of Paediatric, Maternal and Family Health-Chiropractic 2009; (3) 1-4
<< Back to Children & Chiropractic main page