This summer has been a difficult time for us in Australia as we not only feel the environment effects on our ecosystems, but also the health impacts on our bodies too. Smoke, poor air quality and the spread of viruses in turn has put extra strain on our bodies, particularly our immune systems. Our immune system is our first defence against germs and infections. This why it’s necessary to nourish our bodies and boost our immunity for our long term health.
Top Six Tips for Boosting and Keeping Our Immune Systems Healthy
- Keep Hydrated – Drink lots of filtered water.
- Eat Plenty of Fresh Vegetables and Fruits – they’re full of antioxidants!
- Minimise Processed Sugary and Deep Fried Foods.
- Exercise Regularly to Keep Fit and Healthy.
- Avoid Excessive Alcohol and Don’t Smoke as they Reduce Immune Function.
- Make Sure You Get Adequate Sleep – Studies show that an inadequate amount of sleep lowers immunity levels.
Using Natural Remedies
Herbs have been used traditionally to enhance immune function, and potentially reduce the likelihood of contracting colds and viruses as well as reducing duration and severity of symptoms.
- Echinacea, Olive Leaf, Astragalus, Elderberry, Andrographis, Garlic
These dietary supplements are also known to enhance immune function and the respiratory tract.
- Vitamin C, Zinc, Vitamin A and D
Certain strains of Probiotics have been shown to boost immunity.
Finally as there is a growing awareness viral illnesses the following hygiene tips are
Preventing the Spread of Viruses and Colds:
- Wash your hands often, soap and water are just as effective as hand sanitisers.
- Don’t share eating utensils or cups with others.
- If you do get sick sneeze or cough into the crook of your elbow, rather than onto your hand.
- Where possible avoid contact with people currently experiencing cold and flu symptoms.
- Wear a mask if you are sick and need to go out in public.
We also have a wide range of practitioner dispensed health supplements and products, which can help aid the boost of your immune system.
If you have any further concerns or would like further information on our product range, Diana our Naturopath is available to answer your questions. Please call the Bexley Clinic on (02) 9597 7969 to make a free 15 minute phone consultation or book yourself in here today.