We’ve created a list of interesting facts about your body to help you test, how well do you know your body?
The human body is a strange oddity that is filled with many riddles and mysteries. Scientists have studied the human body for thousands of years and we haven’t yet fully unlocked the truth. However, we’ve learnt a few cool things on the way.
Interesting Facts About Your Body: Did You Know?
1. There are 45 miles or 72.5 kilometres of nerves in the skin of a human being.
2. There are more nerve cells in the human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way Galaxy.
3.Three hundred million cells die in your body every minute. Sure, it sounds like a lot but this is actually less than 0.0001% of the amount of cells being replaced in your body every day (About 10-50 trillion cells are being replace in your body every day).
4. A person will die from total lack of sleep sooner than they would from starvation. Death will occur about 10 days without sleep, while starvation takes a few weeks.
5. Studies show a spine with normal curves is 16x stronger than a subluxated spine. “Subluxations can reduce nerve impulses by 60%.” – Chung Ha Suh Ph.D. University of Colorado.
6. Studies show that only 10% of our nervous system perceives pain.
7. If we removed all your tissue except the nerves, we could still identify you as you, not just a human.
8. The lining of your digestive system sheds every 3 days.
9. A human has 60,000 miles or 96560.64 kilometres of blood vessels in their body.
10. The human body has over 600 muscles and totals about 40% of it’s weight.
11. The human brain is about 85% water.
12. The brain makes up only 2% of our total body weight yet demands 20% of the body’s oxygen and calories.
13. The average human brain has about 100 billion nerve cells.
How’s that for a mind blowing list?!
If you’d like to make an appointment to see one of our practitioners, call us on (02) 9588 7000 or book online here.